Body style: GP single-seater
After the end of World War II, racing was back, in all its exuberant disorder! Small but nippy post-war Gordinis or Cisitalias were up against larger Talbots, Delages or Delahayes from before the war. Talbot, in particular, made great efforts to return to the heights of its pre-war successes, developing the T26C, a GP single-seater with a six-cylinder, 4.5-litre engine with an output of over 240 horsepower. From 1948, several Type 26Cs were entered in the Grands Prix, coming up against the might of the ultra-fast, lightweight Ferraris. One of the two cars in the Museum was a leading contender, but the other never raced, and it is the one remaining version with all original parts.
This version was purchased by racing driver Raymond Sommer in 1949, and it closed out the season with a victory at the Coupes du Salon. Sommer left his Talbot behind for a while to race with Ferrari, but did not sell it, driving it as a privateer in races which the Italian stable did not enter. In 1950, he left Ferrari to race for Talbot once more. Sadly, he was killed at the Cadours racetrack, driving a Cooper. The Talbot was sold by his widow to Giraud-Cabantous, who drove it in 13 Grands Prix. The long career of this car was completed with a final mission as lead out car for the world bicycle speed record set by José Meiffret at an average of more than 175 kph (110 mph). In 1999, at the Grande Parade in Mulhouse, another T26C performed an awesome demonstration which showed that the Talbot was still capable of enchanting the public at large.